Destination Inspiration: Philadelphia
(cover photo credit @lookateldin)
Philly, affectionately called “the city of brotherly love,” is a diverse, bustling metropolis. It is a key city in the history of the United States as it is the birthplace of the US Constitution. It is known for the famous Rocky Steps, delicious cheesesteak sandwiches, and the creative murals throughout the city. Need some inspiration for a Philadelphia getaway? Here are some Instagram moments what will make you pack your bags!
1. South Philly: One of the most famous neighborhoods in Philadelphia is South Philly as it was featured in all the Rocky films. Historically an Italian neighborhood, it now has a vibrantly diverse community. You can grab gorgeous views of the city from the rooftop of Le Bok Fin.
2. Federal Donuts: If you love doughnuts and fried chicken, this tiny joint on Federal Street is the place to go. With a cult following of locals and tourist alike, it is a must when visiting Philly. The donuts have a rich cake consistency and come in a variety of original flavors. Tip: try the lemon ricotta donut, delicious!
3. The Philadelphia Museum of Art: No trip to Philly is complete without running up and down the “Rocky” steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. After your victorious moment, make sure to check out the many fascinating exhibitions at the Museum.
4. Gayborhood: The city of brotherly love hearts all people! The popular “Garyborhood” (and yes, that is its official name) is home to beautiful murals, delicious restaurants, and even a rainbow crosswalk. Keep your eyes open for wonderful artwork throughout the neighborhood.
5. Loews Philadelphia Hotel: With Reading Market, the Love Sculpture, and Liberty Bell a short walk away, this design hotel is a popular spot for its epic views. Head to the 33rd floor to take in the architecture of the city from above.
6. Reading Terminal Market: Whether you are craving German food, cupcakes, or a Philly cheesesteak there is something for every palate at this popular indoor market. You can see everything from Amish diners to an oyster bar. Bring your appetite!
7. JKF Plaza, better known as the “Love Park”. In Philly, it’s all about the love and this is one of the most popular spots for a photo op. The sculpture by Robert Indiana has been a permanent fixture at the park since 1978. Tip: go early in the morning to avoid the line of tourists waiting to have their photo taken.
8. Boathouse Row: Like any large metropolis, Philly can be a hectic city. You can find peace through the calming views of Boathouse Row along the east bank of Schuylkill River. You can watch the boat clubs practice early in the morning while going for a run along the river.
9. Philadelphia’s Magic Garden: One of the things that makes Philly unique is that you encounter amazing art throughout the city. The walls are mosaics made of everything you can imagine: from glass to bike wheels!
10. Independence Beer Garden: As the summer comes to an end, it becomes the perfect outdoor drinking temperature. After you see the Liberty Bell and the National Center, reward yourself with a beer in this beautiful setting.
This guest post was written by Jessica van Dop DeJesus. She is a travel and food content creator at The Dining Traveler. Follow her adventures on her blog, www.diningtraveler.com or on Instagram or Twitter.